In August 2021, China passed the Personal Information Protection Law (PIPL), a comprehensive privacy law. This PIPL training course (20 mins) by Professor Daniel Solove provides an introduction to China’s PIPL. The PIPL shares many similarities with the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), but there are many important differences, including a few areas where the PIPL has more stringent requirements. The course discusses the basic terminology of the PIPL, the individual rights it provides, and the responsibilities of organizations that process personal data. The course has 5 quiz questions.
The course also comes with use of the Personal Information Protection Law (PIPL) – a 1-page summary that can be used as a handout or poster.
- Learn the scope, applicability and basic terminology of China’s PIPL
- Understand how the PIPL defines personal data and sensitive data
- Understand the rights the law provides
- Learn about the responsibilities the law imposes on organizations
- Understand the penalties for not complying