FERPA AND EDUCATION DATA
GOSSIP AND SELF-EXPOSURE ONLINE
These 14-minute to 18-minute videos cover the problems created by students gossiping and exposing too much personal data online. Professor Daniel J. Solove explains the legal, reputational, and ethical consequences of these activities by using vivid stories as well as concrete statistics and facts. The videos are available for three audiences:
- Version for Educators and Parents – This version provides extensive advice about how a school can address the problem, educate students, and deal with incidents involving damaging gossip online.
- Version for High School Students – This version provides advice to high school students for how to deal with problems involving online gossip.
- Version for Middle School Students – This version provides advice to middle school students for how to deal with problems involving online gossip.
- Learn about the problems created by students gossiping and exposing too much personal data online
- Understand the legal, reputational and ethical consequences of these actions
Please Contact Us to Evaluate this Program or Others
We can provide you with a login so you can evaluate the programs.
About TeachPrivacy and Our Training Philosophy
TeachPrivacy was founded by Professor Daniel J. Solove, the leading expert on privacy and data security law. He is deeply involved in the creation of all training programs because he believes that training works best when made by subject-matter experts and by people with extensive teaching experience.
According to Professor Solove: “Great training isn’t about slickness or tricks. It is about teaching. The goal is to make people understand, care, and remember. Great training is made with genuine passion – to make people love training, it must be made with love. Excellent substance is essential. The material must be explained clearly, understandably, and concretely. The content must be short and to the point – and it must be engaging. Slickness and gimmicks can’t compensate for lackluster substance.”
TeachPrivacy provides privacy awareness training, information security awareness training, phishing training, HIPAA training, FERPA training, PCI training, as well as training on many other privacy and security topics.
Professor Solove is a law professor at George Washington University Law School. He has taught privacy law every year since 2000, has published 10 books and more than 50 articles, including the leading textbook on information privacy law and a short guidebook on the subject. His LinkedIn blog has more than 1 million followers. Click here for more information about Professor Solove.